Wednesday, January 6, 2010

She's Not Fully Cooked Yet

Statistics as of January 6th, 2010

Gestational Age: 36 weeks & 6 days
Average weight of a baby this age: 6 pounds
Our Baby's Weight: 8 lbs, 8 ounces
Dilated: 0 centimeters
Effaced: 50%

Well, after all the excitement of the last blog entry, I have the game plan. Unfortunately, it's pretty much where we were prior to today. Baby's "number" for the amniocentesis needed to be 54, and she came back at 19. She's nowhere near ready to join us yet. Bummer. Her lungs are very much underdeveloped at this time. If she decided to come on her own, she could be in the NICU for awhile. We'll hope she too, agrees with the doctor, and hangs out in there for a little longer.

I will be heading back for another amnio next Wednesday morning, to see how she's progressing. Right now, she's measuring out at 8lbs, 8ounces, so Dr. Jazayeri says by the time she's ready, I'll most likely have to have a C section, due to her size. On the plus side, all of her non-stress tests over the last six weeks have been very positive, and she passes with flying colors each time. I guess, we just need to work on the lungs.

Everyone I spoke to said the amnio would be painless, being that I'm so far along. It would feel nothing more than the needle in your arm when getting a lab drawn. That was a bunch of bunk. It wasn't horrible, but definitely uncomfortable. After
I complained to my mom and Mike about the amnio, I headed to Bellin Hospital for my next iron infusion. Ironically, after complaining all day how the amnio was much worse than the "needle in the arm," the nurse missed my vein on her first try, and blew up my vein on the second try. The third try made it, only after moving the needle around in my arm a few times. Now I can say that the amnio was definitely better than the "needle in the arm" scenario. That was not cool. I'm here though. Still alive. Six days of no needles. I'm content. Thanks for listening to my rant.

When I got home from my first doctors appointment this morning, Aristana was excitedly waiting in the front window for me to come in. She was jumping up and down when I walked in, asking if we could get our baby today. She is so excited to be a big sister. I told her we would have to wait for them to call me, and tell me if she's ready to come out yet. I have to tell you, we were all bummed, but that little three year old was seriously sad. I told her baby wouldn't be coming out for a while, and her bottom lip immediately grew triple it's size, and she almost started to cry. All day, she and I just kept cuddling with each other. I explained to her what was happening. We both understood, but were both disappointed. It really brought us close together today.

So, that's the update. I'll be sure to keep the updates coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment