Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Is it really that time?

I’ve been blogging, Face-Booking, emailing, etc about the impending addition to our family…but maybe I didn’t realize that the day would actually arrive.



Tomorrow, we will know the game plan.
THE ACTUAL GAMEPLAN!

I have an amniocentesis scheduled for tomorrow morning, to make sure her lungs are fully developed. If she’s ready, they could induce tomorrow already. Either way, it’s almost here!

I know many of you have been asking why the amnio, why early induction, etc. Here’s the deal. I have been struggling with gaining weight the entire pregnancy. With that being said, I have again started down that path over the last few weeks. I was diagnosed anemic about two months ago, and despite meeting with a nutritionist, as well as my gastric bypass doctor, the nutrients, especially iron, are not absorbing into my system. My iron levels have continued to decline, although I am eating a ton of iron, supplementing with other nutrients, and doing everything my doctors have required of me. I'm now getting weekly IV iron infusions at the hospital, which go directly into my blood stream, instead of relying on my intestines. My weight continues to maintain or go down, even though I have been a bottomless pit over the last couple of months.

On the flip side, at 35 weeks, baby was already weighing in at 7lbs, 12 ounces. For those of you about to jump in, please know I am totally aware that you cannot bet on an ultrasound weight estimation. However, even if they were a pound off to the lower side, she would still be considered very large for her gestational age.

My doctor is concerned that even though babies take what they need nutritionally, that I may not be providing the nutrients she needs. It is best at this point to have her out of me (if her lungs are ready), getting fed the nutrients she needs from formula. So, that’s my story.

Aristana & the baby sister…

She is so ready for her little one to come along. I am positive there are two factors that really pushed her into the excitement factor of having a new family member. My Lia Sophia friend Wendy gave her a book at the baby shower, called “Sisters.” It’s a simple book that tells about how there are two sisters who were very different, and gives some examples. The second part talks about the things they enjoy doing together. At the end it shows the most important part is that they love each other very much, and has a picture of them hugging. She realizes that she’ll have someone to play with down the road. She has jumped into the big sister role, wanting to help in every way. Each night, she talks to my belly and tells her stories, and “silly stuff.”

She also got to spend some quality time getting to know her cousin Alexa over the holidays. Alexa is Mike’s sister’s 9 month old daughter. She took to her right away, and still talks about her every day. She absorbed everything she did and every noise she made when we were together. She shared her toys willingly, and really loved having her around. That really helped a lot too.

So, what I’m saying is that Aristana may actually be more emotionally prepared that Mike and I. I know things will be different once there is an actual baby here, but we’re on a good track with her.

I am so excited! Okay, and a little caught up in the anticipation of “What the heck did we get ourselves into?” I just know that I am so blessed by the gift of Aristana in our lives, and completely humbled that God sees us fit to raise another one of His beautiful children! Thank you Lord!

You may not hear from me again for awhile…we’ll see how chaotic life becomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment