Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Weight Update - 48 Pounds lost / 112 to go




I'm going to be blogging about my weight loss journey, since many of you have been asking me to keep you updated. First of all, I had my surgery about eight weeks ago, and so far I have lost 45 pounds! I lost my first 30 in the first 3 1/2 weeks, then hit a 3 week plateau. I lost the latter 15 over the past week and a half. I couldn't believe how frustrating and disheartening it was to drudge through that plateau. It truly was disappointing. I started to question if that was all I was meant to lose. I thank God that it started coming off again. Now I don't need to jump off that bridge anymore!

For any of you who may think that surgery is "taking the easy way out," I urge you to reconsider. I have tried pretty much everything to lose weight. It is coming off now, but by no means is it "easy." This is probably the most difficult transition I have ever experienced. My surgeon, Dr. James Kemmerling, and the staff at NEW Surgical Associates, did an amazing job. I had extremely great care at St. Vincent Hospital. Everything was a huge success...but one thing was overlooked by me. The only thing that surgery took care of, was a physical change. My food addictions, cravings, need for comfort food, love of pizza, etc., still stands strong. It is a constant struggle to stick with this.

I have been dealing with my back, hip, and knee pain, which has limited my exercising ability too. I recently had a coccyxegeal injection, and am noticing a decrease in pain, in that area. I am so thankful for that. I have an appointment coming up, to set the course of action for the other problems. In the meantime, I have been able to take Aristana on walks again, which is great.

One thing that has been very helpful in getting me through this process, is a connection I have made with a friend from Boise, ID. We met on obesityhelp.com, and have been able to send messages back and forth, about what we're going through, and what we're feeling. It is great to have Lisa, because I don't think anyone else truly understands what I'm going through. Lisa and I had our surgeries three weeks apart, so we're going through a lot of the same things, at the same time. Thanks Lisa!

That's it for the update!

1 comment:

  1. No...thank you! You have helped me in so many way and are such an inspiration. I hope you continue to have success without many more slow downs and that your other issues will become less painful to you. You have done a wonderful thing for you and your family and you deserve all happiness!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete